Goal of Discipline:
To build and encourage self-confident and self-controlled children
Methods of Discipline:
- Positive role-modeling from staff members
- Encouragement of positive behaviour
- Teaching of social skills and values
(eg. our Going for Goodness program)
- Correction of negative behaviours
Steps for correction of negative behaviours:
- Remind eg. Please remember to ask before you knock down Katie's castles
- Redirect eg. You need to come out of the block centre because you keep knocking down Katie's castle. How about trying the playdough table?
- Remove eg. We do not throw playdough at our friends. Your body seems to be out of control right now. You need to sit on this "thinking chair"* until it is back in control.
What Discipline is not:
- teachers yelling
- belittling or embarrassing
- spanking or hitting
Parent-Teacher Communication on Discipline:
As a staff we want to focus on what the children are doing well. We look for opportunities to "catch them being kind" and enjoy sharing these incidents with you at the end of the day.
We will share negative situations with you if we feel they are becoming a pattern (so that by working with you as a team we can catch it early on) or if we feel your child was upset by our discipline process.
As always, please feel free to speak to us if you have any questions or concerns during the preschool year.